Tuesday, November 16, 2010

No Pretending...

As children, we learn to pretend.  Having an imagination is a wonderful thing.  My children loved to "play" (their word for pretend) church, or school, or bank.  They loved to make mud pies...hand out
play money.  That is healthy and right and good.

But...

This morning my K-Love scripture made me stop and think about pretending:

"Don't just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good.:  ( Romans 12:9, NLT )

Do I just pretend to love others?  What does that look like?
  • Maybe, if I have a hidden agenda?  An ulterior motive???
  • What if I really do not feel love...but to your face - I "pretend" love?
  • Whenever I put myself first
"Really love them..."    From God's Word, I've learned a couple of things about love:
  1. Love acts.  I can give without loving...but it is impossible to love without giving.  I can say I love you...if I do...my actions will show it.  (like sending Bit-o-Honey - LOL)  Love ACTS.
  2. Love is a choice.   We are commanded to love: our spouses, one another, the Body of Christ, our enemies.  If God commands me to do something...I make a choice to obey or not.  Love is not just a feeling...it is a choice - a commitment. 
You know it's a funny thing, but if we start choosing to love, and act in true loving ways...we begin to feel that love.

"Really"...how can I really love?
  • Pay attention
  • Look for ways to demonstrate my love
  • Really, is also an intensifier...going above and beyond
  • Examine my motives...often
If you keep the context...to hate what is wrong...that would mean pretending to love is wrong and we should hate "pretend love"; and really loving...is good...and we should cling to that, pursue that, make it our goal!

Do we "really" love or are we just pretending? 

With God's grace, no more pretending for me...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You go girl. Love, Love, Love